|8 out of 10 Cats Round|
What Are You Talking About?
3 June 2005
What Are You Talking About? is usually the opening round on 8 out of 10 Cats.
A survey would have been conducted on the public and the teams must discover the top five things that the British public were talking about in the previous week. Each team gets approximately two automatic chances to put forward a suggestion and after that a member of one team would press their buzzer to put forward a suggestion. If the suggestion is one of the top five, the host will say something along the following lines, "Lets see if [the event/incident] is up there." After that the host would sum up the event even if the incident wasn't one of the top five talked about things.
The following example is taken from the first episode of the first series.
|1. That Crazy Frog||57%|
|2. The Future of Europe||55%|
|3. Live 8||48%|
|4. Big Brother is Back||44%|
|5. Naughty Chelsea||39%|
Since the start of 8 out of 10 Cats there have been variations on some episodes to this round. They are as follows:
- In the sixth episode of series 5, as the show was a teen special the change was the teams had to find out the top five things teenagers were talking about.
- In the fourth episode of series 8, as the show was a movie special the change was the teams had to find out who the public voted as the top 3 upcoming movies they wanted to see.
- In the seventh episode of series 8, as the show was a best of British special the change was the teams had to find out who the public voted as the top 5 living British people.
- In the third episde of series 9, as the show was a sport special the change in this episode was the teams had to find out what the public voted as the top 5 sporting moments.
- In the sixth episde of series 9, as the show was a digital special the change in this episode was the teams had to find out what the public voted as the top 5 uses of the internet.
Big Brother specialsEdit
For the first four Big Brother specials (2005-07), the teams had to decide the top three talked about moments in the latest Big Brother. For the fifth Big Brother special (2008) the team also had to decide the talked about moments in the latest Big Brother, but it was the usual top five rather than the top three like the previous Big Brother specials.
What Are You Talking About? was not played on episodes 6 and 7 of series 1. It was due to the London 2005 bombings on the 7 July that the round was cut as it would have been to inappropriate to play very soon after the disaster. The round did return in episode 8 but for the remaining three episodes of series 1, Jimmy Carr automatically announced that the number one story was the London bombings and no percentage was given.
|8 out of 10 Cats: Rounds|
|What Are You Talking About? • The Pole With a Hole • Pick of the Polls • Believe It or Not • Face Off • Word Association • What's the Poll? • And the Winner Is...|